Subject: APPLE and SUN Announcement
From: Adam Chrystie <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:16:48 -0700

Subject: [Fwd: NAB Announcement #3]
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 01:03:47 +0000
From: Adam Chrystie <[email-masked]>
Organization: University Of California at Santa Cruz
To: adamchry

Subject: NAB Announcement #3
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 96 16:50:47
From: [email-masked] (Tech Support)
Organization: NewTek Technical Support
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.lightwave

                NAB-003
CONTACT:        Jim Parsons (NewTek)    RELEASE DATE:  April 15, 1996
                (913) 228-8000
                Hollie Wendt (Communications Consultant)
                (408) 688-1193
00000000000000NEWTEK DEVELOPING RELATIONSHIP WITH APPLE AND SUN00000000000000
Best-Of-Breed Trio To Develop Digital Video Tools
National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), Las Vegas, NV -- NewTek, Inc.
today announced that NewTek, Apple Computer, Inc., and Sun Microsystems
Computer Company (SMCC) are exploring a relationship to develop a broad range
of digital 3D animation and video production tools.  The target audience for
these tools will be the largest group of digital content creators, including
professionals in feature and broadcast video, that purchase tools primarily in
the $ 3000 to $ 30,000 range.

According to Tim Jenison, Chairman and Founder of NewTek, "This collaboration
would unite the companies that currently lead the desktop video, desktop
graphics, and Internet server markets.  The resulting technology opportunities
will enable us to create a new era of high-quality, low-cost, easy to use
products for digital media creation that will benefit audiences from event
videographers, to New York boardrooms, to Hollywood studios."
According to NewTek, technology sharing could be a key ingredient of the
relationship.   NewTek will support Apple's QuickDraw( 3D format for viewing
changes to graphic objects in real-time.  Used in conjunction with LightWave
3D( from NewTek, users of QuickDraw 3D gain a real-time shading capability
that supports the creation of highly realistic animation.  NewTek will also
utilize Sun's Java( development language, which has been positioned as the
"Internet language" based on its strengths in building applications and its
ability to download software across a network in a secure manner.
-- more --

NewTek Developing Relationship with Apple and Sun
                             2/2/2
Use of Java enables the development of digital media creation products
designed for the Internet environment.
Additional technology sharing could include NewTek's support for Apple's
QuickTime( VR, use of NewTek tools by Sun and Apple to create OEM and turnkey
solutions, exploration of future technologies in video production and related
opportunities, and various co-marketing and sales activities.
New Apple Port
One initial outcome of the relationship will be the port of NewTek's LightWave
3D 5.0 animation system to Apple PowerMac( computers.  The port will bring
broadcast quality animation to a wide variety of business and educational
applications, enhancing the ability of users to communicate ideas visually.
"Macintosh systems are leading platforms for creative applications in all
markets -- education, business, publication, and entertainment," said Satjiv
S. Chahil, Senior Vice President of Corporate Marketing for Apple.  "NewTek's
product for the Macintosh platform promises many exciting applications in the
area of digital content production."
Developing with Sun's Java
Sun brings a large installed base in commercial markets, where visualization
is a key component, to the relationship, as well as the Java development
language.  NewTek's choice of Java as a development language will take full
advantage of the capabilities of the UltraSPARC( workstation and Ultra 1
Creator 3D Graphics Accelerator.  Java's write-once-run-everywhere capability,
along with its easy accessibility, have propelled the software and Internet
communities to embrace it as a de facto standard for writing applications for
complex networks.
"We expect that a technology-sharing relationship with NewTek will yield yet
another explosion of Internet applications, this time in creating digital
media tools.  We're excited that a company such as NewTek, who has been
involved in the creation of productions such as Star Trek, Babylon 5, The
Simpsons, and Goldeneye, is embracing the Java technology,"  said Carl Wolf,
Vice President Business Development for Sun.
-- more --
NewTek Developing Relationship with Apple and Sun
                             3/3/3
LightWave 3D > Photo-realistic Animation
LightWave 3D carries on the price/performance standard started by the Video
Toaster(.  At $1495, LightWave 3D has the most comprehensive feature set of
any 3D program, providing workstation performance at a PC price.  Due to its
unparalleled rendering quality and ease of use, LightWave 3D is the artist's
choice for creating special effects for popular televisions shows, feature
films, and commercials, as well as graphics for corporate videos, video games,
print, and much more.  LightWave 3D is available for Windows 95( and Windows
NT( on Intel, DEC Alpha(, and MIPS(, as well as Silicon Graphics and Amiga(
workstations.
Apple Computer, Inc., a recognized innovator in the information industry and
leader in multimedia technologies, creates powerful solutions based on easy to
use personal computers, servers, peripherals, software, and personal digital
assistants.  Headquartered in Cupertino, California, Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL)
develops, manufactures, licenses and markets solutions, products, technologies
and services for business, education, consumer, entertainment, scientific &
engineering and government customers in over 140 countries.
Sun Microsystems Computer Company is a world leader in the design, manufacture
and sale of network computing systems and is a division of Sun Microsystems,
Inc.  Recognized for quality and innovation, the company's SPARC( workstations
and multiprocessing servers each hold the No. 1 UNIX(  marketshare position.
These systems are used primarily by businesses, educational institutions and
governments worldwide for technical, commercial, industrial, and software
development.
NewTek, Inc. is the leader in providing full-featured video editing and
special effects tools at a price that allows anyone to produce professional
video and graphics.  The company's products are used worldwide on projects
from home video to feature film and have won awards for television shows such
as Babylon 5 and Star Trek.  NewTek headquarters are located in Topeka, Kansas
in the middle of the Silicon Prairie.
-- END --
Video Toaster is a registered trademark of NewTek, Inc. LightWave 3D is a
trademark of NewTek, Inc.  QuickTime VR is a registered trademark of Apple
Computer. PowerMac and QuickDraw 3D are trademarks of Apple Computer. Java,
UltraSPARC, and SPARC are trademarks of Sun Microsystems. Amiga is a trademark
of Amiga Technologies. Windows 95 and Windows NT are trademarks of Microsoft
Corporation. DEC Alpha is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation. MIPS
is a trademark of Silicon Graphics, Inc. UNIX is a registered trademark of
Unix Labs.

******************************************************************************
*  Chuck Baker  -  Sysop              *  TekWorld:  NewTek Tech Support BBS  *
*  Technical Support Online Services  *  telnet address:     bbs.newtek.com  *
*  NewTek, Inc.                       *  modem ports:          913-271-9299  *
******************************************************************************